Friday, August 28, 2009

Feature for August: Blair O'Neal

**Since the makings of this article, Blair has won the most recent Cactus Tour Event shooting 71-69-68 and beating the field by 6 strokes. She is also featured on a Golf Channel show called INFUZE MY GAME on www.golfchannel.com (Equipment Section)**


B begins the word, beautiful...it is also the letter that begins the name Blair. One could easily say Blair O’Neal is beautiful but do not let the glamour that Blair brings to the course throw you off track. Blair is one of the most competitive spirits on the Play Golf Designs roster as she demonstrated on the Golf Channel hit TV show, Big Break Prince Edward Ilsand, in which she made it to the final episode and fell just short of winning the title. Before we get to our Q & A interview with Blair, let us talk a little bit about Blair’s background and involvement in the game.

At age 13, Blair began playing on the American Junior Golf Tour and success was immediate; a election on the U.S. Junior Ryder Cup Team in Valderrama, Spain, member of the AJGA Cannon Cup Team, runner-up in the Woman’s Western Tournament and low medalist honors medalist at the AJGA Ping Phoenix Jr. Championship.

Blair went on to play collegiate golf at Arizona State University. As a Sun Devil, Blair competed in every golf event held during her four-year college career. She won 2 out of 3 NCAA Long Drive contests, making her one of the longest hitters in women’s college golf.

Blair turned professional in January 2004 and has since competed in the West Coast Ladies Golf Tour, the Duramed Futures Tour and professional Tours in Japan, Thailand, Korea and China.


In addition to being a professional golfer, the 5’10” blonde is an accomplished model on runways, in print ads, catalogs, magazine covers, websites and commercial advertisements all over the U.S. and Asia.This is something Blair did to help fund her golf career.

In 2008 Blair was named by SPORTS ILLUSTRATED “One of the Hottest 50 Athletes of All-Time” where she was voted into the final four in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s “World’s Hottest Athlete” contest. She also made it to the Final Four of the “In Game Now” Hottest Female Athlete competition.
Today Blair is focused on trying to qualify for the LPGA Tour for 2010 and we had the opportunity to sit down with Blair and talk about her golf, modeling and future.


Q: What drew you to the game of golf?

My dad introduced me to the game when I was 11 yrs old. He put my brother and I in a jr clinic and I just really enjoyed it from the start. I think I had a natural ability for it… so it was fun for me and I wanted to get better and better.

Q: What made you decide that golf was what you wanted to do for a living?

I pretty much knew when I was 11 that I wanted to be a professional golfer. I would see tournaments on tv and hear about the ASU players and their success. I was around golf and passionate about it from an early age. I’m not really sure how I knew… but I just did!

Q: What is your most memorable memory of golf (either amateur or pro)?

Definitely competing on the Big Break. It is unlike any other experience and making to the finals I really feel like I got the most out of the experience. Competing on the show- the pressure is on and you either perform or you don’t. Bottom line. It’s a lot of pressure and was a great learning experience.

Q: We all know you began modeling to help fund your career. Is it something you enjoy more than golf or something you do to pass the time before the season starts?

I really enjoy modeling but I love to play competitive golf. I like the competition. In some ways they can be similar but my passion is defiantly competing on the course!

Q: Who is your favortie model (either fashion, swim, etc)?

Adriana Lima

Q: Some of your photos are "risque". PGD has been ridiculed in the past for having "glamour" shots on our site, what is your argument about sexy women who play golf?

There is nothing wrong with a sexy women being able to play a professional sport. I have a range of images because I am also a model but as long as you are comfortable with yourself… it is what it is. There will always be

Q: Now onto BB...On the Big Break, contestants describe their nerves being out of control, you seemed to remain very calm and under the radar, what was it actually like to hit the first few shots and some of your last shots on the Big Break? How did you keep your nerves under control?

I think thru out the show I was pretty in control of my emotions and that really was my game plan. I payed attention to what I had to do and I know what it takes for me to play good golf. The hardest and greatest thing about BB is that is literally ‘one shot at a time’. People say the show isn’t like real golf. But if you think about it… it is exactly the same mentality it takes on the golf course to perform well. It’s a test of staying in the moment and focusing on the task at hand.

Q: What was your favorite challenge on BB? What was the moment in which you thought, "I can win this whole thing!?"

Breaking the glass was an awesome feeling!!

Going into this I felt I could win it. I never ever doubted myself and I took one day at a time. That was all I could do. One day at a time- check a day off - and move on to the next.

Q: What do you take from BB that you believe will help you in competition for 2010?

Being patient, focus on what I know I need to focus on, have a plan, and play my own game. I do that… and I will be just fine!

Q: Have you been recognized from being on the Big Break?

I have had people recognize me quite a bit. I’ve had people recognize me just out with friends, out to dinner, at the lake, and of course airports and the golf course. I was out at the Men’s US Open, for a PGD Event this year, and it was crazy walking thru the crowds and the people who recognized me. The show was still airing then and of course that is the perfect Golf Channel crowd!

Q: What are your plans for 2010?

Hopefully you will be watching me play out on the LPGA next year!

Q: You are one of the most popular PGD girls to date! What has been your favorite PGD event to host?

I was out at the US Open with First American Title. That was a great event and a lot of fun.

Q: What do you believe the future holds for women's golf?

Hopefully it continues to grow and we can get more viewers interested in the tour! Also, I think its important to introduce kids to the game and with programs like The First Tee, etc. the game can really grow.

Q: Why are you so passionate about PGD?

PGD will only make the focus on women’s golf grow. It is nice to have PGD because we can showcase our games and network with other companies who are passionate about golf.

Well, there you have it. One of the most popular girls from the Play Golf Designs Roster, Blair O’Neal. Athletic, sexy and a true competitor who truly embodies the philosphies of Play Golf Designs.

Would you like to play with Blair, or any of the other 22 professional female golfers on the Play Golf Designs roster? If so do not delay and navigate yourself over to,
http://www.playgolfdesigns.com/
or email Tina at
tina@playgolfdesigns.com

You can also learn more about Blair on her website:
http://blairgolf.com/

Watch out next month for new feature on another amazing female pro from the PGD roster


No comments: